Adventures in Linux – Part 1

  2 m, 16 s

As part of our ongoing plan to increase our coverage for support requests, I’ve recently had to take the plunge into Linux. I’ve always been a windows guy and that’s where I’m most comfortable (Kevin on the other had is pretty much the reverse, living in his SSH sessions) but needs must so Linux it is. Not wanting to go the whole hog at this point I decided to just create a virtual machine using Virtual PC, that Ubuntu would be my distribution and (foolishly)thought it would be an afternoons worth of work. Silly me! Virtual PC, whilst fantastic with Windows installs, doesn’t seem to play as well with Linux and to start with I couldn’t even get the installer from the live ISO to run. However Google as always comes to the rescue and I found a fantastic article on Techrepublic that showed me what command line params I needed to add to get the installer up and running and an hour or so later I had a fully working Ubuntu VM, all be it at some poor graphics resolution. Of course that was only the first step, I then needed to get SVN onto the machine (managed that first time), download all of our source and then build it. This is where I hit my next major wall. I grabbed the Boost package we use (1.34.1) and went to compile it and hit error after error. Thanks have to go to Kevin for sitting on the end of Skype helping me diagnose them, but they included

    • I had gcc installed by default, but needed to install g++ as well
    • Missing development libraries for python, bzip and zlib
    • Problems with Boost 1.34.1 and gcc 4.3, this required applying a patch file we found on the Boost bug db (had to install patch as well and then going into various regex headers and adding #includes

However after several hours slog I got Boost to build, created the necessary symbolic links and was ready to build Salience. Sure it will be easy says Kevin, mumbling that he hasn’t actually built it with gcc4.3 before. Nope, not easy. From where I have got to at the moment it looks like headers which are included by default in earlier versions of gcc are no longer included so its going to be an edit job to get it up and compiling. Don’t know about running yet, though my task tomorrow will be to download our new tarball and see if I can get that to work just following the instructions in the wiki One last thing, after doing my install Ubuntu wanted to install 273 patches, found that very amusing for some reason. More later.

Categories: Technology